Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Path to Wealth

My summary:

Path to Wealth
1. Stay healthy
2. Work dilligently
3. Save religiously
4. Insure adequately
5. Invest wisely
6. If still can't attain wealth, at least be happy! =)

Posted the above as a comment on La Papillion's blog. It's the summary of the words of wisdom from d.o.g. (see blog post, W.O.W. D.O.G.). Since I'm at it, I thought I might as well jot down my "philo" for the topic.

Before striving frantically for more money...
Know where you are
Know where you want to go*
Know how to get there

(see blog post dated 16 Jan 09)

* Knowing where you want to go can also mean determining how much money you need in order to be happy. Many people want to be a millionaire. Do you really need $1,000,000.00 to be happy?

Some people define it as the point where they work because they choose to, not because they have to. As to precisely how much, it varies from person to person and with the stage of life-cycle that one is in.

To me, the "where" is the amount of wealth that leaves me financially worry-free. According to Roger Hamilton, wealth is "how much you are left with when you are strip off everything" or, what you are when you have nothing.

To illustrate, say, you are a very good business builder. One day, you are robbed of all your monetary assets. You know you are not doomed, for you are confident of making a comeback quickly with your talent, knowledge, skills and network.

So, I'd say, above all, INVEST IN YOURSELF!

Identify your passion
Develop your talents.
Deepen the knowledge
Sharpen your skills
Build your character (i.e traits that you wish to be identified with eg. integrity, positive, kind, etc.)
Do not be rude to other people

= = = = =

From a post in my shut-down blog:

Monday, November 01, 2004

My Internal Values

1. My Talents
What I naturally do well? What I can do better than most without thinking about it, whether it is getting on with people, giving constructive criticism, building sandcastles or reading a bus timetable.

2. My Passions
What really lights me up, gives me a buzz or gets me excited? Whether it is seeing a project successfully completed, brainstorming a new idea, meeting new people or caring for my pet turtle.

3. My Purpose
What drives me forward and brings meaning to what I do? The real reason I believe I am doing what I do, and meeting the people I meet. What is the reason that would drive me to make even more of every day?

4. My Knowledge
What special knowledge I have that can be of benefit to others? What I have learnt from my education and employment that makes me an expert to any wealth creator.

5. My Contacts
Who I know? Who they know? Who would be an asset to others? The people who I have come into contact with that have strong internal values that I have noticed.

6. My Character
The positive words that I would use to describe myself. The things that other people notice in me, that makes me unique. The positive words that others are most likely to use to describe me.


"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads" - Erica Jong

"If you follow your passion, doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else." - Joseph Campbell

2 comments:

SGDividends said...

Hello,

Absolutely love this post you wrote. Its heart warming and serves as a gentle reminder to those who are preoccupied with the rat race =)

SGDividends No2

Admin said...

Hey, thanks SGDividends No2 (wonder how many SGDividends there are...) for the positive comment! Really glad to know the post strikes a resonance. =D

Post a Comment